Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Experiment 1: Bell Pepper with Guacamole

 Since yesterday was cinqo de mayo, it seems appropriate that I make a dish that uses guacamole. The recipe is straightforward: 1 avocado, a bunch of parsley, several drops of lemon juice, and a couple pinches of salt. Nothing in this meal is cooked; it's all raw. I like this dish a lot. It's quick, easy, and I've never noticed it heavily effecting my blood-sugar before. However, I've also never taken a close look at what happens when I eat it.

 Beforehand: My blood-sugar measured at 60, which is lower than what I want. It is 10:40am when I am done eating. I have not gotten a noteworthy amount of exercise. I have not eaten any animal protein in over a month.
 Hypothesis: After 1 hour, my blood sugar will rise to the high 70s. After 2 hours, my blood sugar will have normalized in the mid 70s.
 Results 1: After the first hour (11:40am), my blood-sugar measured at 96.
 Results 2: After the second hour (12:35pm), my blood-sugar measured at 94.
 Activities: During the 2 hours, I drove to a grocery store, and spent time at my computer. No significant exercise.
 Conclusion: This dish is pretty safe for me to eat, but it does have a greater affect on me than I assumed. My hypothesis was wrong. In the future, I should try to discover if it was the avocado or the bell-pepper that caused the elevation.

No comments:

Post a Comment